Monday, August 1, 2011

iPod Connection in a Classic Car

A cool little side project I have working. I have been jumping back and forth trying to find a way to get some music in the Rambler as it did not come with a radio or speakers (being a 550 base model). I tried hooking up the 63' model radio I purchased online buying some small speakers and an aftermarket flat antenna, but the AM radio being as old as it is and being AM only just did not work and the stations were too finicky in the car. I also thought about getting a ReadiRad AM radio converter to beam music through the air to the stock radio, but it just seemed like it would have problems with reception and I was not prepared to pay the $130 for a test that may not work. I was stumped.




Recently I had stumbled upon a website The Jalopy Journal. Started reading some articles and browsing around and hit this post under the tech section, "Hidden Tuned via an Ipod". Very interesting indeed! A simple project really, take an amplifier, some speakers, a wiring kit, and an ipod connector and make a simple connection all the while hiding it as any good classic car owner would do to not mar the interior with modern ugliness. Here is the diagram from the post:

Really quite simple. A few connections here and there, getting everything mounted and secured, then testing out the system. I hit up Amazon for the things I was lacking (amplifier, wiring kit) and didn't spend more than $50 total I believe. I got a cheaper amplifier and basic wiring kit, going with what is in the diagram would have been much pricier but that is why they mention that the amp was something they had previously. I went to a great site I know for electronics monoprice.com and got a simple male audio connector for the iPod/satellite radio/whatever connection you will need for a few bucks. I chose the male audio connection to keep things simple and I also did not want to be running juice directly to the iPod like the diagram. I also must mention I had two small speakers and an iPod already so I did not have to purchase those.

After getting all the shipments in I unloaded the boxes and started stripping wires, adding connection points, and preparing the hardware. After getting everything wired in and slipped into the correct places I was ready to rock & roll (also not you need to connect the amp to your fuse so that it turns on when you turn the key on the car, you dont want it running and draining your battery 24/7). I turned the key and tested the tunes and there it was, modern convenience in a 1963 Rambler. Couldn't be happier with the results and this is a great application for those looking to get a quick, affordable solution to your radio woes. Again thanks to The Jalopy Journal for this great post and idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment