Monday, July 18, 2011

Rustoleum Roller Method = Success

After finally completing the Rustoleum roller method of painting I can say it was for the most part a success, and by far more effective than rattle cans! Here is the end result:


It took some time, some sweat, and some mistakes but I got there. The process was relatively simple, below are my steps;

1. Lightly sand surface area to ensure good adhesion when rolling on the paint
2. Mix 70% Rustoleum 30% mineral spirits to correct consistency (like milk)
3. Use (New) foam roller and begin gently rolling on mixed paint for one coat
4. Dry for 6 hours
5. New coat of paint once base is dry, allow to dry once again
6. Wet sand dry paint with 1000 grit sandpaper to reduce orange peel
7. Wash and Dry area
8. Begin repainting as previously described (you may need 4-8 coats depending on application)
9. Allow final coat to dry for a day and wet sand once more to reduce orange peel
10. Buff using Meguiars Ultimate Compound to get out all scratches and imperfections from sanding
11. Wax if satisfied

This process worked for me. I was able to paint on a 2 coats in a day and reached 4 coats over a weekend which seemed to cover it well (granted I had white already underneath so I needed less). The process is not perfect, I still see some orange peel on the paint and some imperfections I need to address with some more buffing, but overall my goal of repairing all the rust damage and getting a shiny coat on was a success. Now for some this may not be ideal, you strive for perfection then perhaps it be best to take for a professional job. For those of us with limited cash and a interest in seeing what we can accomplish in our garages this is a good challenge. The Rambler is not a trailer queen by any means, not a show car either. I want to get to a point where I can drive it and not mind if people "get too close" and watch the car like a hawk fearing the worst. Its a Rambler, I want to ramble.

During the process I did notice some things to do a but differently when I start the body. 
• Get a good wet sand down in between coats, the orange peel creeps up fast
• Make sure everything is clean at all times, stinks getting a dead bug rolled into the paint
• Get it EVEN. Every stroke needs to be correct, and that is difficult when doing a tall, wide area like a roof
• Dont skimp on the work at the end, get a few coats of compound on and it makes a big difference

Lastly I feel this is a great inexpensive way to experiment. Not sure of the color when you buy it? Bring home a sample and paint it on a discreet area and see if it works. Another good thing to remember is that if you do need a bit of touch up it will be no problem covering it up, you already know how!

End Result:



1 comment: